The Politics, Philosophy, and Economics Society is one of the fastest growing, and most exciting societies. If you’re studying PPE, or if you are passionate about politics, philosophy, economics, or the social sciences in general, then this is the society for you! The University of Exeter PPE Society is a community of students who are passionate about Politics, Philosophy and Economics. United under a shared passion, we gather to learn, socialise, and debate
Our society is two-dimensional, including academic events, and social events. Academic events give our members opportunities to listen to distinguished speakers, increase their employability opportunities, and network with students and firms. Social events give our members an opportunity to form bonds with like-minded individuals and have fun! With a wide variety of events on offer, the PPE Society has something for everyone.
With membership now at 140+, our society is one of the fastest growing academic societies. Our goal is to unite these members, and give them opportunities to learn, socialise, and debate. Our aim is to provide members with both the tools to tackle the world’s challenges, as well as lifelong memories to cherish with a society that truly feels like family. Academic Events: Every year we host a vast variety of academic events. In addition to inviting inspirational speakers to discuss important topics and various perspectives, we also host graduate employers and firms that help provide our members with advice and connections to help further our members’ career opportunities, external trips to other universities to help our members network with other like-minded individuals, and much more!
Past Academic Events:
- ‘Is Economics Useful for Ordinary People?’ – A conversation with economist and TV presenter Evan Davies
- ‘What Is It Really Like Being an MP?’ – A seminar with Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw on how government works, both on the constituent and national level, and the challenges he faces
- ‘On Palestine’ – a talk with the University of Exeter’s own professor Ilan Pappe, in collaboration with Exeter Arabic and Middle Eastern Society
- ‘The Intricacies of Law and Finance’ - A conversation with Dr Anele Hammond, one of South Africa’s “most qualified academics”, on how law and finance can be used to address educational and societal challenges that upholds systemic inequality and poverty • Warwick PPE Symposium – the society’s visit to Warwick PPE Society
- CV Review Service, hosted by a PPE Alumni, experienced recruiter, and former committee member
Our Social Events:
We also host a variety of exciting socials! We host our regular social events on Thursdays, as well as other special events such as our pub crawls and debate nights, allowing members to meet with old and new friends, play social games, and enjoy the more casual side of the society. Each term culminates with special events for the society, such as our famous Winter Ball in term 1, and our End of Season Dinner in term 2.
One of the highlights of PPE Society is our PPE Families. PPE Families are smaller groups of members that we create where committee members act as 'parents'. PPE Families are groups that can meet before social events, act as teams for socials, or even meet up outside of regular events. Parents of each Family are there to ensure that everybody is doing well, and to be there for anyone who is finding it difficult coping with work or anything else. The PPE families offer a fantastic opportunity to connect with other members on a more personal scale, as well as providing a closer means of accessing committee members.
We are very excited for what we have planned for the upcoming year and the committee are already hard at work bringing in new speakers, new stash, and new socials! For the latest information on the society, we regularly post updates on our Facebook Page and our Instagram, which you can follow using the links. We hope to see you soon!