Aims and Objectives:
1. Raise awareness of the work of Amnesty International on campus as the world's largest grassroots human rights organisation.
2. Aid students in joining the global movement of over seven million people that campaign for everyone to be equal in dignity and human rights - on campus, in Exeter, and across the world - and to make sure that all that act under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are held accountable.
3. Be an inclusive and fun society by connecting like-minded students and creating a sense of community.
Who we are, and what we do
Amnesty International is the world's largest grassroots human rights movement that connects people from across the world to campaign for human rights. Our purpose is to speak out against those that deny others the right to justice, freedom and dignity, and to protect the human in all that we do. At Exeter University, you can join Amnesty International Society and become a part of this global movement, locally.
As a society at Exeter University and a part of Amnesty International UK, we want to have a positive impact in campaigning for human rights locally, nationally and across the world. We run weekly meetings, human rights campaigns, Write for Rights, collaborations with different societies, events, and socials.
• Join - Membership is currently only being charged for First Term at £5.00 (subject to COVID-19). As a member you'll be able to vote on campaigns, attend the annual student conference at the Amnesty International UK HQ in London, stand in committee elections, and receive our important weekly emails that provide updates on our campaigns and meeting locations!
• Weekly Meetings - On Wednesdays @ 2pm we meet up to discuss current human rights issues and plan our campaigns.
• Campaigns - Our campaigns involve a variety of actions such as protests, info stalls, petitioning, and more! Click on the links to our fb page and our blog above, and check out our insta @amnestyexeteruni, to take a look at our past and current campaigns!
• Write for Rights - Amnesty’s global letter-writing campaign and the world’s biggest human rights event that writes to right the wrong done by denying human rights. We write to individuals, organisations and government officials that have the power to make a difference, as well as to political prisoners of conscience to offer our support.
• Collaborations - We collaborate with different societies in order to increase the impact of important campaigns campus-wide and to have a lot of fun in the process by mixing ideas and socialising with different people.
• Events - Our society has ran a variety of events in the past, from eco-friendly clothes swaps to Jamnesty - a favourite night among many, where musicians, poets, and all creatives get together for an evening of performing to raise money for Amnesty International!
• Socials - Keep your eyes peeled on our social media accounts and weekly emails to see our upcoming events and socials that range from pub crawls and quizzes to our annual Christmas dinner.
President - Raina J. Singh (she/her)
Treasurer - Basya Batubara (he/him)
General Secretary - Anya Holtshausen (she/her)
Campaigns Officer - Sarah Omari (she/her)
Social Secretary - Emily Judd (she/her)
Publicity Officer - Aditya Rokade (he/him)