Welcome to the Exeter Wilderness and Extreme Medicine Society (EWEMS)!
We are a group of students who are passionate about learning and sharing the skills necessary to take medical care out of the hospital and to the patient wherever they need it. We are open to students both within and outside the medical field!
We are a small committee, but we are dedicated to bringing opportunities to engage in wilderness and prehospital medicine to our members.
Some of the ways that we plan to do this are:
- Talks from healthcare professionals in the field, such as military, Mountain Rescue, Air Ambulance, MSF, and many more.
- Evening workshops to teach skills necessary to deal with traumatic injuries and medicine in challenging environments, including skills not routinely taught on medicine/nursing courses.
- Raising awareness of events and opportunities for students that are interested.
- Organising a team to represent Exeter at the national inter-medical school competition Wild Trials, as well as planning our own event for local universities to engage more interested students.
- Running weekend trips to Dartmoor, Cornwall, and potentially further afield for camping/hiking and medical scenarios.
- More social events, such as walking trips and more Exeter-based events.
We hope to see you soon at our sessions - please get in contact via our social media with any questions!
The EWEMS Committee